Monday, August 29, 2011

Long Time No Post = Sorry

I know it has been a very long time since I last posted and lots has gone on.  We are now coming to the end of summer which makes me both happy and sad.  Happy that all the things of summer that I can't do have come to end and sad that the kids go back to school this week.


Since the beach was out this summer we took Thomas and Mark to Lake George.  Originally, Dan was supposed to go with us and that is why I looked for a place right on the lake so he could fish.  Dan at the last minute decided not to join us.  So I booked a handicapped room at a place called "Surfside on the Lake".  The place sounded really good, heated pool, sandy beach on the lake, and what Ed would enjoy the most.... buffet breakfast included in the price!  We also had dinner coupons for specific restaurants we could use them at.  The room that was handicapped accessible..... was not handicapped accessible to what my needs are meaning, I need a raised toilet seat with grab bars, and a roll in shower.  The handicapped room had neither of these which made it much more difficult for me.  What we learned from this trip?  Handicapped accessible means one thing to mom and pop hotels and another to big chain motels.  We now need to either rent a house that is handicapped accessible (no stairs to get in and a LARGE bathroom, or just go to a chain hotel.  Sunday night we went out to eat to a place that was so "Adirondack" and reminded me of places we would go to eat in the Catskills when I was growing up.  When I called to make the reservation and asked if they were handicapped accessible, they said they were.  We we get there and their idea of handicapped accessible is taking you in through the KITCHEN!!!!!     I was needless to say just embarrassed to have to be brought in this way and taken out this way!! We then went and took the boys to play miniature golf and, of course this was NOT handicapped accessible. Ed took me in one way in which I could watch the boys play a few holes.  On Monday, the boys had a good time, they loved the water slide park and we spent the day there.   Our dinner out that night was great as the restaurant had a ramp in! Tuesday was kind of cloudy with some sprinkles here and there.  Thomas went para sailing and loved it!  We also went on a boat tour of the lake.

Tuesday's dinner was an Italian restaurant that again said they were handicapped accessible and said they only had one step in if we came through the bar entrance.  OK, we can do that....NOT!  There were 4 steps in, 2 to get in the first door and another 2 to get into the bar.  Well we had to have one of their waiters help to lift my and my chair up to get in.  Now, that I think about it, we should have asked for the manager and told him since they were not handicapped accessible we would be taking our business elsewhere to another restaurant that was truly handicapped accessible!  It was getting late and everyone was hungry at that point.  OK, so that was our trip to Lake George.  Next year... I think we will try and go back to the cape and rent a house.  Maybe in March we will check some out.

We also took a trip to NJ to visit my mom.  We had a very nice visit with her and it was great that we had all four boys with us as Matt did not get to go with us when we visited her back in February.  It is hard having her in NJ, as we wish we could see her more often then we are able to.


We have come to the realization that we need to sell our trailer as there is just no way of me being able to go camping in it anymore.  It is so sad that this darn disease has taken away something that we did as a family and loved so much.  I was brought up camping with my family.  My dad purchased a trailer when I was 5 or 6 and we spent many weekends camping in the summer at in the winter.  Yes, we did use our trailer in the winter and used it when we would go skiing in the Catskills.  We did not do any winter camping in our trailer mainly just spring, summer and a trip in the fall.  I guess we will need to find other memory makers now.  I just hate to for Thomas and Mark to see camping for our family come to an end due to my darn cancer.  The cancer has also taken away our yearly trip to Cape Cod and sitting out on the beach.  We were a "beach" family.

Cancer and Radiation Myelitis Update:  Well the Xeloda is doing it's job and my cancer is "stable".  My oncologist knows of many woman that have been on this drug for years.  I pray this drug buys me more time, God willing.  I also had a PET scan done in June and it showed low activity in my tumors.  So that is all good news.

2 comments:

  1. Christine~ your courage as you grieve losses leaves me humbled. Who am I to complain? Please keep sharing your cancer journey as you are an inspirtation. My hope and prayer is that your days, however long, be filled with peace and joy. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to sell something you love so much. I know my reply earlier didnt make sense but i hadnt read your blog yet. I appologize for that.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete