Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Very Busy February Vacation!

Vacation for Ed and the boys is almost over and it certainly flew by quickly.  President's Day weekend we spent at a hockey tournament with Thomas which was held south of Boston.  This was our first hotel stay since I lost all ability to walk.  I must say.... it turned out pretty good and we will certainly do it again.  We stayed in a handicapped room in the Sheraton.  It had an extra large bathroom that I could wheel into with the wheelchair, a roll in shower with a bench, a raised toilet seat and a sink that I could wheel right up to.  Our only complaint is they need to downsize the furniture in the room to make for more ample room for moving around in a wheelchair.  Of course this tournament fell on  the coldest weekend with a windchill of about "0"!  Oh, I can not wait to get my new wheelchair that we won't need to fiddle with foot rests!!!  The "rink"..... I have never been in such a cold rink with absolutely NO heat!  This rink has Greenfield and Blunt beat by a long shot!  They tied their first game in which Thomas had a penalty shot that he scored on.  Second and third games they lost.  Oh well, the positive is, Thomas played some really good hockey and Ed and I gained some confidence in being able to stay in hotels that are equipped with handicapped rooms. Life moves on!

After coming home from the hockey tournament on Monday, Ed did some wash and the next day we were off to NJ to visit my mom.  We did not get to see her over Christmas because of a major snow storm that hit the east coast.  We finally got to give the GPS that the boys bought Ed for Christmas a try on our trips.  It worked great until we pulled into a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike because Mark had to use the restroom and we lost signal in the parking lot.  As I was trying to figure the darn thing out we missed the exit for the NJ Parkway!  Thank goodness I got it working again so it got us to my mom's place in Lakewood.  We had a really wonderful visit and we got to see her new place which is very nice.  They even have apartments that you can rent for family members to stay in.  Ed said it was like a very elite country club.  My mom looks wonderful and Mark told  her that she looked like she was 71, which of course made my mom laugh and she gave him a big smooch.  Got to love Mark for his way with words, he does remind me a lot of my dad at times. The boys got to go swimming at the beautiful indoor pool and also enjoyed time in the hot tub too.  We had a very nice breakfast with my mom on Wednesday before we had to head back home.

Mark is hooked on legos right now especially the Star Wars by Lego and he had mapped out where the Lego stores were in NJ.  We found one that was on the way home in Paramus.  I thought it was at Paramus Park so we stopped there.  It was kind of funny going in that mall that I had not been to in years.   I remembered it to be a lot nicer then it actually was.  Well we get me out of the car and into the wheelchair and into the mall only to find out that the Lego store was no longer at Paramus Park.... I thought Mark was going to have a major breakdown.  We asked a security guard and found out that it had relocated to the Garden State Plaza which was only down the road.  So back into the car and down the road we went.  Now, when I lived in Mahwah  26 years ago that plaza was just that a plaza, shops that were next to one another but the whole thing was outside.  Now it is two floors with crazy expensive shops!!  Guess you  have to be one of those "Real Housewives of New Jersey" in order to shop there (no wonder there were very few cars at the Paramus Park mall).  Well, the closer we get to the Lego store it was like Mark was drooling.  We finally find it and Mark was in heaven.  We were a little let down thinking it would be a much larger store and have some big figures made out of legos.  Still Mark was so excited and could not wait to get his hands into those bins with the colored legos he needed to build onto his lego Star Wars building he was making.  Mark had been given some money for good grades on his report card and had saved his money from Christmas so he was money bags in that store.  On our way out of the Plaza we missed the exit for route 17 to head to the Tappanzee Bridge so we ended up going home via the George Washington Bridge.  Boy am I glad we don't live in Bergen County anymore, Boston is much easier to deal with LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment